Here are five major points to consider you should consider for any renovation. It is important that you carefully plan your renovation to avoid problems.
1. Conceptualize: your vision and know what you are looking to achieve. Do you want a modern design with clean lines, or perhaps shabby chic or the warmth is a country style?
2. Budget: know how much you have to spend and save some money for contingency. However, if you plan well you should not have to worry so much about contingency.
3. Plan: plan and then plan some more. Be sure you know what you want and how you are going to achieve your goal. There are planning tools available if you need help.
4. Research: all materials that will be required to help validate your budget and get estimates from and complete due diligence on contractors. Due diligence should include references, site visits and checking local organizations that may have negative information on a contractor such as the Better Business Bureau. There are several website that can help you find local contractors. However my best results have been from word of mouth.
5. Contracts: ensure that you have a fully executed contract that details all work expected from the contractor, in as much detail as possible. Don't take anything for granted.
After you have carefully go through all the points listed above, do it again to be sure that you have not missed anything. I will be posting more on each of these points in separate post, so stay tuned!